Erasmus+ gives you the opportunity to spend three to twelve months studying at academic department level at one of a series of selected European partner universities in the Erasmus+ network. While there, you will get to become acquainted with technical, linguistic and cultural aspects of your partner university. The Erasmus+ program provides support in the form of a partial grant to cover the additional expenses arising from your stay abroad, and exempts you from paying foreign tuition fees. Your partner university will also provide administrative help in your search for accommodation and dealings with the authorities.
General requirements for participation in the Erasmus+ (study-mobility) programme:
- Regular enrolment at TUM
- Successful completion of at least the first year of study
- A period of study at a partner university which has an Erasmus+ cooperation agreement with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Sufficient knowledge of English and/or the language of the country concerned
Please note that only complete applications can be accepted.
The following documents should be uploaded:
- Online-Application (open from December 1st, 8am to January 12th, 12am) - please choose:
- "Outgoing - Erasmus SMS, Switzerland and Double Degree 2018/19"
- Curriculum vita in English (or in the language of the country of your first choice)
- Letter of motivation in English (or in the language of the host country) for the university of your first choice
- Evidence of academic achievements
- Language certificate in English and/or the language of tuition. The confirmation of participating in a course at the TUM Language Center, in a private language course, the DAAD certificate from the TUM Language Center and also your Abitur / A-level results are accepted. No TOEFL or IELTS certificates are needed!
- Study Plan (i.e. a non-binding list of subjects you would like to study abroad and is only necessary for the university of your first choice)
Make sure that you only apply for partner universities from the department of Electrical and Computer Engineering!
Save the login details created during the application process! You will need them again at a later point of time.
Selection Criteria / Timeframes
The selection criteria are:
- Successful progress during the course of study
- Language skills
- Personal qualifications - flair, openness and above all self reliance. It is expected that you are able to complete the necessary organisational steps at the TUM (keyword: "application documents") and at the guest institution independently.
- Intercultural competence Good grades are an advantage (and essential for universities like the EC Paris, ETH Zürich, University College London). Nevertheless the criteria above matter first and foremost.
Once you have submitted your application documents and have printed out, signed and handed in the application form, a decision will be made according to the criteria stated above. You will be notified via e-mail about the decision (at the latest by the end of February). You will also be registered at both the partner university and the International Center (TUM). You will then receive an e-mail from the International Center in April or May containing information regarding all formalities before/during/after your stay abroad, together with forms you will need to obtain your Erasmus+ grant.
Leave of absence/Tuition fees
For the period of time you are studying abroad, you can request leave of absence from the enrollment office. This will not be granted automatically! During your leave of absence you will still have to pay student union fees and make the basic contribution for the semester ticket (€ 128,50).
The Erasmus+ scholarship currently amounts to approximately € 200 per month depending on the country concerned. You will be exempt from paying fees to the partner university. Language courses can be subsidized by up to € 150. Students from non-EU countries and those who spend their Erasmus+ stay in Turkey can receive a subsidy for visa fees. In addition, there are special grants for students with children and those with a handicap.
Intercultural training course "Fit for the Exchange" As preparation for your stay abroad the TUM Language Center is offering different intercultural communication courses.
Closing date for applications for the winter term and summer term 2018/19: Januar 12th, 2018, 12am
Please hand in your application documents to Ms. Heike Roth or send them to:
Fakultät Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik
Frau Heike Roth
The selection of candidates and the conclusion of Erasmus+ partnership agreements will take place at academic department level. Consequently, the application process may vary from one academic department to another. The above procedure is valid for Electrical Engineering and Information Technology.
Under the Erasmus+ program, the TUM Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering has signed cooperation agreements with the following universities:
All students who have spent time abroad on a TUM exchange program must write a report about their experience. more
You will find further information about the Erasmus- Program International Center der TUM.