Your first days in Munich

Enrollment at TUM

Before beginning your studies at TUM, you will need to enroll. For getting completely enrolled you could hand in missing documents, e.g. health insruance confirmation, at the service desk at TUM.

 As soon as you are fully enrolled at TUM, you can apply for your Student Card in the “my TUM-Card” app in TUMonline if you have a German address. There you can also view the status of your order. A personal pick-up is currently not possible.

This will allow you to obtain reduced-price student public transportation passes. Enrollment is only valid for one semester, so it is very important that you re-register in a timely manner. The re-registration deadline will be on the documents you obtain during enrollment. If you do not re-register, your status as a student will be terminated.

Applying for a Student Residence Permit

All international students who wish to stay in Germany for more than three months must have a valid Residence Permit. The Residence Permit must be issued by the Foreigners Registration Authority ("Ausländerbehörde") of your German town/county of residence in accordance with the length of time for which your visa is valid (or the length of time EU citizens are allowed to be in Germany without a visa).