|Lecturer:||Prof. Dr.-Ing. Bernhard U.Seeber, Dr. Ana Alves Pinto|
|Assistant:||Dr. Ana Alves Pinto, Dr. Clara Hollomey|
|Turnus:||Winter semester only|
|Target group:||Wahlmodul zur fachlichen Vertiefung, Master EI|
|Schedule:||2/2/0 (Lecture/Exercise course/Practical course)|
|Exam||Oral. Sign up for the individual oral exam is before or after the lecture. |
Candidates for repeat exams in the summer semester are asked to contact us well in advance to arrange an individual exam time.
|Time & Place:|| |
not in WS2020/21, from WS2021/22 replaced by "The Auditory System"
|Dates:||Lecture starts on 15.10.2019; Excercise course from 22.10.2019, |
No Lecture on 12.11.2019
- Binaural hearing: binaural cues, masking, directional hearing, movement perception, precedence effect, models;
- Hearing impairment: Kinds of hearing impairment, frequency selectivity and auditory filters, masking and across-frequency processes, loudness and recruitment, temporal and spectral processing, pitch perception, models of peripheral processing;
- Speech understanding: cues, models (Articulation Index, Speech Intelligibility Index), binaural speech understanding, effect of noise and reverberation on speech understanding;
- Auditory scene analysis;
- Music perception: Harmony, consonance, dissonance;
- Hearing aids: function and algorithms;
- Cochlear implants: function, algorithms, temporal and spectral resolution, speech understanding;
Lecture videos on YouTube:
- Methods for listening tests and their evaluation;
- Ethical considerations in clinical research with human participants;
- Speech tests in audiometry; models of the auditory system (monaural, binaural, speech);
- Fitting of hearing aids and cochlear implants;
- Audio demonstrations.
Oral exams will take place. Examination dates will be announced. In addition, each student must register and sign up individually at the examination office (online portal).
|J. Blauert||Spatial Hearing. MIT Press, Cambridge MA, 1996.|
|H. Fastl , E. Zwicker||Psychoacoustics - Facts and Models. Springer-Verlag, 3rd Edition, 2007.|
|D.M. Green, J.A. Swets||Signal Detection Theory and Psychophysics. Peninsula Publishing, Los Altos Hills, Calif., USA, 1988.|
|N.A. Macmillan, C.D. Creelman||Detection Theory: A User's Guide. Psychology Press, 2nd Edition, New York, London, 2009.|
|B.C.J. Moore||An Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing. Emerald Group Publishing, 6th Edition, London, 2012.|
|E. Terhardt||Akustische Kommunikation. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1998.|
|M. Zöllner, E. Zwicker||Elektroakustik. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, korr. Nachdruck, 2003.|