The focus within the simulation team lies on the detailed description and characterization of lithium-ion cells. On the one hand, modeling and simulation tools are used to describe electrochemical, thermal, and mechanical effects. For that purpose, coupled models based on partial differential equations are developed. On the other hand, different characterization methods for lithium-ion cells are utilized and advanced to parameterize and validate these models. The investigated topics range from the cell design over optimized operation strategies to the examination of aging mechanisms.
Current research topics:
- Evaluation of cells with new active materials
- Mechanical bracing of cells within test benches
- Characterization via coulometry and calorimetry
- Optimization of cell design and tab placement
- Coupling of electrochemical and mechanical models
- Aging analysis and Lifetime forecast