Communication networks provide a cross cutting function across many disciplines in todays information society. Research and teaching of the Chair of Communication Networks (in German: Lehrstuhl für Kommunikationsnetze, LKN) focus on methods and systems for mobile and fixed communication networks as an infrastructure for future Internet communication. Our core competences are architectural concepts, control and management mechanisms, self-organization principles, methods for optimization and performance evaluation as well as techno-economic analysis.
On our website, we present an overview of our current research activities and selected results. More details can be found on the individual home page of each researcher.
Prof. Kellerer is Scientific Director of the TUM/LMU Center for Digital Technology and Management (CDTM).
Research Video Channel
To address the dynamic change in communication networks regarding strongly increasing bandwidth requirements, extremely low latencies and high resilience (keywords include here: "6G" and "Tactile Internet"), novel methods and algorithms as well as concepts for protocols and network architectures are required.
Current research areas include
- Flexible, dynamic networking based on Software Defined Networking and Network Virtualization
- Resource management in wireless networks: Software-defined RAN, machine-type communication, wireless sensor networks
- Network planning and techno-economic analysis of converged networks
Please see details on our research page.
We offer the following courses:
- 2 B.Sc. lectures: Communication Networks, Internet Communication (in German)
- 7 M.Sc. lectures: Data Networking (replaces Broadband Communication Networks), Optical Networks, Network Planning, Techno-Economic Analysis of Telecommunication Networks, Analysis, Modeling and Simulation of Communication Networks, Communication Network Reliability
- 5 lab courses: Data Science Basics and Applications, Wireless Sensor Networks, Industrie 4.0, Tactile Internet Lab, Software Defined Networking Lab
- 4 seminars
We offer several Bachelor and Master Thesis projects in each semester (mostly online!), as well as projects for "Ingenieurspraxis" and "Forschungspraxis". If you are interested, please see our topics list contact a member of the research staff or Prof. Kellerer.
Together with the Chair of Media Technology (Prof. Dr.-Ing. Eckehard Steinbach), we form a research and teaching unit.
- P4Update. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies, ACM, 2021 more…
- Towards Performance-Aware Management of P4-based Cloud Environments. IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software Defined Networks, IEEE, 2021 more…
- Modeling and Performance Analysis of P4 Programmable Devices. IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software Defined Networks, IEEE, 2021 more…