Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Kellerer
Lehrstuhl für Kommunikationsnetze (Prof. Kellerer)
- Tel.: +49 (89) 289 - 23500, 23501
- Raum: 0509.02.946
- Faculty member of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and affiliated member of the Department of Informatics (Zweitmitglied der Fakultät für Informatik)
- Scientific Director of the Center for Digital Technology and Management (CDTM)
- Coordinator of the TUM Center of Competence COMMUNICATION (CoC COM)
- Member of the Scientific Board of the Federal Network Agency of Germany (Wissenschaftlicher Arbeitskreis für Regulierungsfragen der Bundesnetzagentur, WAR)
- Member of the 5G Expert Committee of the 5G-Initiative from the Masterplan Bayern Digital II of the Bavarian Ministry of Economic Affairs, REgional Development and Energy
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Max-Planck-Institute for Informatics, Saarbrücken, Germany
- Member of the Advisory Board (Kuratorium) of Fraunhofer FOKUS, Berlin
Wolfgang Kellerer is full professor and head of the Chair of Communication Networks in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Technical University of Munich (TUM), Munich, Germany. His research area covers methods and systems for wireless as well as fixed communication networks. Focus of his work is on network dynamics and flexibility based on Software Defined Networking and Network (Function) Virtualization for various emerging systems including 5G infrastructure, industrial communication and energy networks. In the area of wireless communication his research is targeting machine-to-machine communication for low-delay, high reliability, control-aware wireless network resource management. Before he joined TUM, Wolfgang Kellerer pursued an industrial career being more than ten years with DOCOMO Communications Laboratories Europe GmbH, NTT DOCOMO's European research institute in Munich, Germany. His last position was head of the research department for wireless communication and networking, contributing to research and standardization of LTE-A and 5G technologies. In 2001 he was a visiting researcher at the Information Systems Laboratory of Stanford University, California, US. He received his Dr.-Ing. degree (Ph.D.) and his Dipl.-Ing. degree (Master) from TUM, in 1995 and 2002, respectively. He has published more than 200 papers in respective journals, conferences and workshops and is inventor of more than 40 patents and patent applications in this area. He currently serves as an associate editor for IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management and on the Editorial Board of the IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials. He also serves as a reviewer for the European Commission and several other research programs. In 2015, he has been awarded with an ERC Consolidator Grant from the European Commission for his research project FlexNets "Quantifying Flexibility in Communication Networks". He is a member of ACM, VDE ITG and a Senior Member of IEEE.
|2012 - today||Professor (W3) Communication Networks (Kommunikationsnetze), Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (Fakultät für Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik), Technische Universität München (TUM)|
|2002 - 2012||DOCOMO Communications Laboratories Europe GmbH: European research institute of the Japanese mobile operator NTT DOCOMO; Last position: Head of the research unit for communications engineering and mobile networking (ca. 30 staff members)|
|2003 - 2012||External lecturer at TUM on „Advanced Network Architectures and Services“|
|2002||PhD (Dr.-Ing.), Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik, TUM|
|2001||Visiting researcher at Stanford University, CA, USA|
|1996 - 2001||Research and Teaching Associate, Lehrstuhl für Kommunikationsnetze, TUM|
|1990 - 1995||Studies, Diplom (Bachelor and Master) Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik, TUM|
|2015||ERC Consolidator Grant FlexNets "Quantifying Flexibility in Communication Networks"|
|2015||DFG SPP „Cyber Physical Networking“ (member of the proposer team)|
|2011||DOCOMO Euro-Labs Company Award 2011|
|2008||ITG Award 2008 for excellent publication (VDE ITG)|
|2002||DOCOMO Euro-Labs 2002 Research Excellence Award|
|2001||Stanford University Research Scholarship|
|2018 - today||Scientific Director of the Center for Digital Technology and Management (CDTM)|
|2018 - today||Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Max-Planck-Institute for Informatics, Saarbrücken, Germany|
|2018||Guest Editor for IEEE JSAC "Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning for Networking and Communications"|
|2018||Lead Guest Editor for IEEE TNSM on "Novel Techniques for Managing Softwarized Networks"|
|2017 - today||Member of the scientific board of the Federal Network Agency of Germany (Wissenschaftlicher Arbeitskreis für Regulierungsfragen der Bundesnetzagentur, WAR)|
|2017||Guest Editor for IEEE TNSM on “Advances in Management of Softwarized Networks”|
|2017||Guest Editor for Hindawi on "Advances on Radio Access and Core Network of 5G Mobile Communication Systems"|
|2016 - today||Editorial Board Member of IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials|
|2016 - today||Editorial Board Member of IEEE Trans. on Network and Service Management|
|2016 - today||Associate Member, Department of Informatics, TUM|
|2015 - today||Member of the Advisory Board (Kuratorium) of Fraunhofer FOKUS, Berlin|
|2013 - today||Member of the Board of Directors of LMU/TUM CDTM (joint institute of LMU and TUM for technology management)|
|2013 - 2018||Member of the Research Council of the Münchner Kreis|
|2012 - today||Member of VDE/ITG Fachausschuss 5.2 Communication Networks|
|2009 - today||Member of the GI/ITG Fachausschuss „Kommunikation und Verteilte Systeme“|
|2009 -2014||Steering Board Member of IEEE P2P conference series|
|2005 - 2010||Area Editor of Elsevier Computer Networks Journal|
|2006||Guest Editor IEEE Communications Magazine|
|2002 - today||Member more than 50 program comittees of international conferences, e.g., IEEE INFOCOM, IEEE P2P, IEEE ICC, IEEE Globecom, ACM Multimedia, ITC|
|2001 - today||more than 40 patent applications, of which 37 are granted|
|2017 - 2020||DFG Project SDN-enabled Application-aware Network Control Architectures and their Performance Assessment|
|2016 - 2019||CELTIC/BMBF SENDATE (SEcure Networking for a DATa center cloud in Europe)|
|2016 - 2019||DFG Project Optimal Co-Design of Wireless Resource Management and Multi-Loop Networked Control as part of SPP 1914|
|2015 - 2020||EU ERC Consolidator Grant FlexNets (Quantifying Flexibility in Comm. Networks)|
|2015 - 2018||EU H2020 5GPPP VirtuWind (SDN and NFV for industrial communication)|
|2015 - 2018||BMBF KMU Innovativ SARDINE (Sicherheit in Behördennetzen mit SDN und NV)|
|2014 - 2016||DFG Project in SPP COIN (Device-to-Device Communication)|
|2014 - 2016||BMWi ZIM K-SDN (network management for SDN)|
|2009 - 2012||BMBF G-Lab COMCON (network virtualization)|
|2010 - 2013||EU Project MEDIEVAL (mobile video delivery)|
|2010 - 2012||EU Project EARTH (energy efficient wireless networking)|
Collaboration projects with universities and industry, e.g., BMW, Nokia, Siemens, Zodiac Aerospace.
- Guck J, Reisslein M, Kellerer W: “Function Split between Delay-Constrained Routing and Resource Allocation for Centrally Managed QoS in Industrial Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 2050 - 2061, December 2016.
- Blenk A, Basta A, Zerwas J, Reisslein M, Kellerer W: “Control Plane Latency with SDN Network Hypervisors: The Cost of Virtualization”, IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 366 - 380, September 2016.
- Jarschel M, Zinner T, Hossfeld T, Tran-Gia P, Kellerer W: “Interfaces, Attributes and Use Cases – A Compass for SDN”, IEEE Communications Magazine, Volume: 52, Issue: 6, June 2014.
- Römer K, Ostermaier B, Mattern F, Fahrmair M, Kellerer W: “Real-Time Search for Real-World Entities: A Survey”. Proceedings of the IEEE. Special Issue on Sensor Network Applications. 2010; 98(11): 1887 - 1902.
- Zöls S, Despotovic Z, Kellerer W: “On Hierarchical DHT Systems - An Analytical Approach for Optimal Designs”. Elsevier Journal of Computer Communication, pp. 576-590, Feb. 2008.
- Shacham R, Schulzrinne H, Thakolsri S, Kellerer W: “Ubiquitous Device Personalization: The Next Generation of IP Telephony”. ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications (TOMCCAP). 2007; 3(2): Article No. 12.