Research Internship / Forschungspraxis
Feel free to contact me for related topics.
The GPU is an inherent part of modern processor architectures. It is used for applications which require heavy graphical computations, for example games. Consequently, the GPU turns out to be a large power consumer in such applications. Especially on mobile devices like phones or tablets, the reduction of power consumption prolongs the life time of the battery.
In this work, a development platform with the same processor architecture as in the Samsung Galaxy S5 phone where an Android Kitkat distribution is running on, is used. The platform has an integrated power measurement interface. Our focus is on the power consumption of games which make intensive use of the GPU. The goal is to reduce the power consumption by using DVFS (dynamic voltage and frequency scaling) and to still obtain a good gaming experience for the user.
The following tasks have to be done
- Find GPU intensive games and monitor their power consumption
- Analyze how changing the GPU frequency affects the power consumption and the user experience
- Implement an Android driver which can be used by other drivers to increase or decrease the GPU frequency
- Profound Knowledge of C
- Knowledge of the Linux/Android system structure
- Helpful: (Linux/Android) Kernel programming experience
- Helpful: Knowledge of the structure the Android operating system
- Diligent, independent and well-organized work performance