Module Number: EI78059
Duration: 1 Semester
Occurence: Summer Semester
Number of ECTS: 6
Professor in charge: Ralf Brederlow
Contact hours: 75
Self-study hours: 105
The module is examined in form of a lab performance with the following components:
• The performance of the circuits designed during the lab according to the given specification is evaluated.
• The design, its performance and presentation is presented in a 10 minutes talk (5 mins. each group member).
• The students will write a documentation of their design and its performance. This group report (10 - 15 pages).
Electronic devices, Semiconductor physics, Solid understanding of analog circuit design - participation in Mixed-Signal Electronics Lecture
Upon successful completion of the lab the students are able to design and verify transistor level integrated analog circuits and small systems using Cadence according to a given specification
They are able to design small Continuous time delta sigma modulators, single bit and multibit modulators, effect of finite gain and finite bandwidth of opamp, effect of clock jitter.
They now to use techniques for high speed continuous time delta sigma modulators (CTDSM)
and characterization techniques for CTDSM
They have advanced knowledge in design methodologies and simulations of developed architectures
- Sampling, quantization, single-bit & multibit quantizer, oversampling, noise shaping
– Discrete time delta sigma modulators: First order DSM, higher order DSM, loop filter architectures, stability of modulators, effect of nonlinearities
– Continuous time delta sigma modulators, single bit and multibit modulators, effect of finite gain and finite bandwidth of opamp, effect of clock jitter
– Techniques for high speed continuous time delta sigma modulators (CTDSM)
– Characterization techniques for CTDSM
– Design methodologies and simulations of developed architectures"
Theory of design will be provided via lab attending lecture and selfstudying of the offered literature, pratical parts will be given on chair owned coputers as practical exercises and small programming projects, assisted by PhD students
Power Point Presentation, Script, Cadence Learning Materials
Material and computers with Cadence software will be provided
Lecture EI74341 Analog and Mixed-Signal Electronics
B. Razavi, Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits, McGraw Hill Education