General Information

In this section, you can find further information and links about studying at TUM and the first steps to take after having been admitted.

International Student Guide

TUM Asia Assistance Center

We recognise the difficulties that you may face during the application; hence TUM Asia Assistance Center could offer you as much assistance as possible: TUM Asia Assistance Center

Required documents for enrolment

After having been admitted, download your letter of admission (“Zulassungsbescheid”) in TUMonline.

For getting completely enrolled you have to hand in at the service desk missing documents, e.g. health insurance confirmation or final certificate as certificated copy.

After the enrollment you can pick up your student card at the service desk. Please pick up your student card not earlier as 10 working days after you have received your enrollment e-mail.

Applying for a Student Residence Permit

All international students who wish to stay in Germany  for more then three months must have a valid Residence Permit. The Residence Permit must be issued by the Foreigners Registration Authority ("Ausländerbehöre") of your German town/country of residence in accordance with the lenght of time for which your visa is valid. Further information is available here.

Orientation weeks and contact to other students

The TUM offers a Pre-study Course for international Master students enrolled at TUM.

TUMinternational provides helps as well as a cultural program at the beginning and during studies in Munich.

Student fee

No tuition fees will be charged. A basic fee and a basic fee for the semester ticket have to be paid at the beginning of each semester. Total amount: 142,40 Euros.

Detailed information: Study contributions and fees

Cost of Living in Munich

Living in Munich is relatively expensive. According to current calculations you will need up to € 1.000 per month.

For applying for your visa you will only need to present proof of € 853 per month.

Some cost for example:

- Rent

Dorms: 300-400 € (waiting periode: 2-3 semesters)

Private market: 600 € or more

- Health insurance: 80 €

- Food: 300 €

- Phone/Internet/Broadcasting fees: 45 €


We are not able to offer scholarships to prospective international students.
International students who have successfully studied one semester at Technische Unversität München can apply for the Scholarship for International Students or the Deutschlandstipendium.
Contact persons for both scholarships are shown in both websites.

All prospective students can apply for a scholarship at Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD).
Students from Eastern Europe can apply for BAYHOST.

Student Jobs

Student jobs are available at TUM and to some extent in industry.
For many jobs in industry, some basic proficiency in the German language is required.

Especially at the beginning, it will not be easy to find a job since nobody knows you well.
It is recommended to check out the chairs' research areas and student job offers and to contact the chairs.

See also TUM's information pages about student jobs which also includes information about legal issues for international students and TUM's list of links for student jobs and internships.


Since the number of student apartments in Munich is limited, you should take charge of finding a place to stay directly after having been admitted.
Quite a lot of students find accommodation in private flats.

Information on housing can be found at the TUM accommodation website and the website of Studentenwerk München.

Information on housing and short-time accommodation

German language courses

The MSPE Program expects all students to aquire German language skills during their studies. You get released from this constraint by providing a proof of sufficient German language skills along with your set of application documents (optional). You can acquire German language skills e.g. by attending lectures offered in German language or by taking a dedicated German language course at the TUM Language Center.

In winter semester 2020/21, we are able to offer German classes exclusively for MSCE and MSPE students. This made it easier for our students to get a seat (the demand for German classes is very high) and the classes fitted into their schedule. 

English Writing Center

The English Writing center offers free one-to-one consulting in English writing to all members of the TUM community.

Buddy Program

Welcome to the MSPE Program!

We offer to have a MSPE buddy program. This service is free and is voluntary provided by MSPE students